15th annual Oxford Film Festival: February 2018 (February 7-11)
When to submit?
- May 1-Aug. 31 Early Bird Deadline - DONE
- Sept. 1 - Oct. 14 - Regular Deadline - DONE
- Oct. 15-Nov. 15 - Late Deadline - DONE
Where to submit?
We only accept submissions on Film Freeway. Emailing us a link will not be considered.
What genres to submit?
- Fest Forward: (Animated/Experimental)
- Documentary Feature and short
- Mississippi feature and short and Mississippi music video
- LGBTQ Short and Feature
- Music Documentary Feature
- Narrative feature and short
- Artist Vodka competition with $5,000 cash prize and travel to the festival.
- Short Screenplay Competition (click for more information)
How much to submit?
A $5 student discount is available on all rates below. A 50% discount is available for female directors using code BlacheOXFF. No waivers are allowed after Oct. 15.
- Oct. 15-Nov. 15 - Late Deadline
- $35 for Mississippi and Music Documentary categories
- $45 for all other short categories
- $60 for Narrative and Documentary Feature
RULES FOR FILM SUBMISSIONS:
- Films must have been completed after January 1, 2016.
- While we prefer otherwise, short films currently streaming on You Tube or other free or pay platforms are eligible. Feature-length films that are currently or have in the past been available in any form of exhibition in the United States are ineligible for juried competition. This includes: SVOD, TVOD, theatrical, TV or free Internet streaming. Non-US distribution is acceptable.
- Please enable the “Watch Later” feature on Vimeo. This makes it possible for our screeners to watch your films on the largest screen available to them.
- Shorts must be under 30 minutes. Features must be under 120 minutes. Music documentaries must be under 110 minutes.
- To be considered for the Mississippi categories, the filmmaker should indicate his/her "Mississippi connection" in the cover letter section.
- All films in a language other than English must be subtitled in English for festival presentation.
- All submission fees are non-refundable.
- Any film submitted in previous years but be a significantly different version to be re-considered. Re-submitted, previously rejected films with no changes will not be considered. Please note the changes in your cover letter.
- Films with upcoming US distribution are ineligible for juried competition and we do not pay screening fees for juried competition films. Please inform us before acceptance or rejection if no longer eligible. Such films may be considered for out-of-competition slots.
Legalese: In submitting a completed film, the filmmaker represents that s/he is authorized to submit this film for screening at the 2018 Oxford Film Festival. S/he acknowledges that the film may be screened more than once during the festival and if a winner could be screened at our Best of events (we will ask permission first). S/he grants the Oxford Film Festival the nonexclusive right to use submitted materials in connection with any and all publicity and promotional materials regarding the festival. S/he warrants that the submitted film does not infringe upon the intellectual property rights of any person or entity and agree to hold harmless and fully indemnify and defend the Oxford Film Festival and its representatives against any and all claims made for such infringement or any other violations of law. S/he also acknowledges that the film submission fee does not guarantee acceptance and no refund will be provided if your film is not selected.
Upon acceptance, Oxford Film Festival will ask for fest deliverables:
1) Feature films require a DCP and a BluRay back up. If unable to deliver a DCP, we partnered with a company to provide a discount to have a DCP made. Please contact us if you have questions.
2) Short films require a ProRes 422 file. Selig Polyscope Company will then create a DCP for each shorts block.
- If the filmmaker does not comply with delivery deadlines, the film may be pulled from the festival lineup.
- Acceptance does not guarantee a juried slot, but the filmmaker will be notified upon acceptance if their film was selected for competition or out-of-competition screenings.
- International entries - all entries from outside the US should be sent Air mail Registered or by a parcel express service (DHL, UPS, Fed Ex, etc.). We cannot accept entries shipped via air-freight if customs and delivery fees have not been paid.
Can I get a fee waiver?
You could from May 1-October 15. Requests are now closed for this season. We do not provide any waivers for anyone after regular deadline on October 15.
Can I get my money back if you don't accept my film?
No, that is not our policy.
How does your film screening process work?
We have a screening team of about 50 volunteers made up of a cross-section of the Oxford community as well as some national and international screeners including students, retirees, filmmakers, industry and more. Three people are required to watch the film completely and then submit their review using our internal system. Then head programmers for each category make final decisions. The feedback from screeners is shared with filmmakers who request this service at the time of acceptance or rejection. At the festival we are looking above all else for a good story but technical proficiency, acting, editing, length of film, uniqueness and other factors are taken into consideration when screening.
Films with distribution are ineligible. We do not pay screening fees for juried competition films. Please do not submit and accept and then ask for us to pay to screen your film. If you are interested in a special non juried screening which we pay for a screening fee, you may reach out to the Executive Director instead of applying through Film Freeway.
For the Short Screenplay competition, our volunteers read each script and determine the semi-finalists and top finalists based on ranking of scores. Then our organizer provides the finalists to our screenwriting experts who provide in depth-analysis for the top 5.
When is notification?
- We consider films fully before making a decision. We try to notify once decided rather than waiting only until the final notification date. Decisions are made every 2 months of our 6 month submission process. However, we will notify all filmmakers by or before December 1 via Film Freeway. Please check your account on Film Freeway for any notifications or check your email. Short screenplay submitters will receive feedback throughout the process depending on when they submitted. Films that request feedback will receive it.
New to the festival circuit?
- Need Tips on submitting your film onto the festival circuit? We recommend Chris Holland's Film Festival Secrets and particularly The Better Film Festival Submissions Tool Kit.